Chakra meditation has its origin in an ancient Sanskrit word which means “Wheel”. According to yogic philosophy, these chakras are the center points of energy in our body. Some people also call them the vortexes of energy, so powerful is the entire chakra system! Balancing the chakras would lead you to have a healthy, peaceful, happy, and satisfying life.
The concept of chakras originates from ancient Hindu traditions and also has its links with Buddhism. The chakra system is said to originate in India back anywhere between 1500 and 500 BC. They have been highly discussed in the Upanishads. Though the count of chakras varies from Hinduism to Buddhism, the essence of the entire chakra system remains the same.
The Major and Minor Chakras of the Human Body
The awareness of the chakras in our body is the first step to understand how to bring them in sync and awaken them to maximize the physical and emotional well-being. The human body has several major and minor chakras. The major chakras are the most powerful, effective, and most noticeable ones in our bodies. Based on Hinduism, there are seven major chakras.
The minor chakras are smaller points spread all across our body and they also have some influence on our well-being. Though it is said that there are as many as 114 chakras, seven major and twenty one minor chakras are most commonly referred to. Minor chakras are also widely used as acupressure points! Interesting isn’t it?!
Chakra Meditation – Let’s now read in more detail about the major chakras of our body. Below is the list of seven major or primary chakras and where they are located:
1. The Root Chakra
The root chakra is located at the end of the spinal cord. It is the first primary chakra of the human body. The specialty of this chakra is that it helps us to stay grounded. It gives us the feeling of being connected to the energies of the earth.
It keeps our minds down to earth and brings in the most required stability in our lives. This chakra is responsible for our basic needs of food, shelter, and emotional needs. Do try out the grounding meditation to see how it awakens this wonderful chakra. The color that symbolizes this chakra is RED.
2. The Sacral Chakra
The sacral is the second primary or major chakra of the human body. It is also known as the Svadhisthana chakra. Various nicknames have been given to this chakra- like the ‘creation chakra’ or the ‘sex chakra’ or the ‘social chakra’.
This chakra is located three inches below our belly buttons. The sacral chakra is associated with our pleasure and passion needs. This chakra is responsible for our ability to express feelings. The color that symbolizes this chakra is ORANGE.
3. The Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus chakra – what we know as the third primary chakra of the human body. It is also known as the Manipura chakra.
The literal meaning of this chakra is “city of jewels”. The solar plexus chakra is located behind the naval region in humans, just below the rib cage.
This chakra helps you bring out your personal power. It is associated with all the power we need in form of self-confidence, self-discipline, and wisdom. The color that symbolizes this chakra is YELLOW.
4. The Heart Chakra
The fourth major chakra of the human body is known as the heart chakra. It is also called the Anahata. The literal meaning of ‘Anahata’ is unhurt and unbeaten. The heart chakra is associated with the love and compassion we have in our lives.
It is located in the center of our chests, a little away from where the heart actually lies.
The heart chakra brings balance and calmness to us. It helps us heal emotionally when needed and helps us maintain our mental health. The color that symbolizes this chakra is GREEN.
5. The Throat Chakra
The throat chakra is the fifth primary chakra of the human body. It is also known as the Vishuddha. The literal meaning of the Sanskrit word Vishuddha means “especially pure”. The throat chakra is associated with communication and voicing our feelings.
It helps us to communicate and share our personal opinions with others. This chakra is also responsible for us to be able to speak the truth.
This chakra is located just above where our heart is. The color that symbolizes this chakra is BLUE.
6. The Third Eye Chakra
The sixth primary chakra of the human body is known as the third eye chakra. It has a number of other names like the Brow Chakra, Ajna Chakra, Bhru Madhya, or the Dvidak Padma Chakra.
The third eye chakra is located right in between your eyebrows where the third eye is supposed to be. This extremely powerful chakra is associated with clarity of thought, self realization, and spiritual awakening.
It is associated with the highest form of intuition and how we perceive things. The color that symbolizes this chakra is INDIGO.
7. The Crown Chakra
The seventh and final major chakra of the human body is known as the crown chakra. It is also known as the Sahasrara, the literal meaning of which is a thousand fold’.
The corn chakra helps us, humans, to connect to the Universe. This chakra is situated at the top of our head. This chakra is the source of energy for all the other six chakras in our body. This chakra helps us connect to the almighty and awakens our spirituality.
This chakra is also associated with wisdom, awareness, intelligence, and miracles. It is said that those who are able to awaken this chakra fully tend to achieve ‘nirvana’. However, it’s not possible to do so easily for us humans. The color that symbolizes this chakra is VIOLET.
Why do we need to awaken our chakras?
As we understood earlier, chakras are the centers of our body. These are the points through which energy flows through us. When these chakras are blocked, it means that there is no proper balance in our bodies. The disparity in the way energy flows creates a lot of physical issues, emotional stress, and health issues. Awakening these chakras not only helps us get rid of all these issues, but it also helps us connect with our own selves, connect with the universe, and connect with the cosmic elements of each chakra.
Ways of Activating Your Chakras
How to Open Your Chakras? There are various ways to awaken your chakras. I am listing down some of the common methods here:
- Chakra Meditation: Just a few minutes of peaceful Healing meditation every day goes a long way to calm your mind and connect with your spirit. You can also try turning on some Chakra meditation music to keep you focused. It releases your energies and removes the blocks that you have in your mind. It also has numerous health benefits. No wonder this is known as miracle meditation or meditation for healing!
- Yoga: Yoga is one of the most popular and effective ways to keep you fit physically, mentally, and emotionally. Regular yoga practicing makes your body and mind work at their best. It helps in balancing all aspects of you. It does wonders when it comes to opening up and awakening your chakras.
- Mantras: Ancient Vedic practice talks a great deal about how useful Mantras are. Many people use mantras as an inseparable part of Chakra Meditation or simply normal meditation as well as Yoga. Chanting of mantras either loudly or in your mind daily gives you the much required calm and peace. It also helps your body balance out your chakras while you are filling your body with all kinds of positivity.
- Visualization: Visualization is another excellent way to channelize your energies in the right direction. Just relax in a comfortable position and imagine the things that give you happiness. Focus on what you can do to become emotionally and physically strong. Focus on all aspects of all the seven chakras.
- Breathing exercises: Guided breathing exercises exist to help you improve your concentration and be aware of each and every part of your body. Take intentional deep breaths, feel the air filling you in and directing all the energy to all your chakras, and as you exhale imagine that you are getting rid of all the negativity. Practicing this brings harmony and sync to your body and opens up your chakras.
- Concentrating on the colors of the Chakras: As mentioned in the article earlier, each chakra is associated with a particular color. One can wear clothes related to the chakras they want to activate, wear accessories of that color, etc.
- Specific crystals/gemstones: Gemstones are very popular in various parts of the world. They have a lot of healing properties. They offer a unique way to heal you and open us your chakras. Based on the chakra you want to awaken you can choose your gemstone. The gemstones associated with each chakra are – Amethysts for the crown chakra, Sodalite for the third eye chakra, Chrysocolla for the throat chakra, Rose Quartz for the heart chakra, Citrine for the solar plexus chakra, Carnelian for the sacral chakra, and Hematite for the root chakra. Another famous crystal is the Vogel crystal which works for all chakras at one go.
There are various ways to open your chakras out of them few important ways have explained to practice meditation in our daily life. Meditation always helps you in healing and takes you to he happy life.